Saturday, July 27, 2013

MY Week 2 Reflection

This week was extremely busy. Okay! Alright! EVERY week is extremely busy. While my two daughters (Kadence Lorelei (Age 3 1/2) and Keian Melodi (Age 2)) and my husband are extremely supportive, I wonder how I will keep up with everything once school starts in a few weeks and our role as educators continues for a new school year.

Watching the interviews of the school administrators was very educational. Their insight and suggestions toward action research will be very beneficial as we commence. The focus should be the needs of our school and our students. This learning was at the forefront during my action research topic decision.

This week I learned that there are nine areas of passion that are prime driving forces for many school administrators and the success of an action research project. My action research topic falls under more than one! It can be classified under Individual student(s), School culture/community, and School Performance.

My site supervisor and I met, in person, to discuss my action research topic and my internship plan. He is SUPER excited to embark on my action research journey with my first topic of choice. Yippee! Please see my research topic below.

Action Research Topic:
How does being in an extracurricular activity, in high school, affect a student's academic performance (grades), behavior, tardies, absences, and referrals versus students who are not involved?

5 comments:

  1. I am really excited to see that your site supervisor and yourself came up such a good topic. It covers a wide range of things and I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I agree that in the next few weeks things are going to get pretty intense with managing all of our job titles. We're all here for you and I know we're all going to need support for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right that every week is busy, and if we are honest with ourselves, we are all wondering how we will handle all of this and teach kids. I am really interested in your project, because my children have all been involved in extracurricular activities and I believe it was an asset to their high school experience. I wonder, too, about students having a healthy balance because my kids could sometimes become over-committed. I also think it would be interesting to see which activities helped them acquire scholarships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every week is crazy and I also wonder what things will be like when school starts back up in less than 4 weeks! It is wonderful to have a supportive family at home. My 4 yr old thinks that it is his job to see what everyone looks like on the webinars. I enjoyed watching the videos this week also. We are a group of people and it is wonderful that we are here to support each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the statement every week is crazy and I don't want to look into the future. I think you're action research plan is a very wise choice. Since mine is somewhat like yours except mine will be dealing with middle school male students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your realization that your question fell into more than one passion. A well-planned question may very well fall into multiple categories because it considers the different sub-units involved (to borrow from system dynamics). I think of Dana's nine passions as a means to stimulate questioning, not to pigeon hole topics. Your research question is solid and well-written.

    ReplyDelete